Saturday, June 18, 2016

Soda Taxes Credulity

"We must enact Federal Backside Checks to purchase these brutal Assault Sodas!"
Reason:

"Yesterday Philadelphia became the first major city in the United States to impose a special tax on soft drinks, but as enacted it has nothing to do with reducing obesity, the usual rationale for such levies. Unlike Berkeley, where voters approved a one-cent-per-ounce tax on sugar-sweetened drinks in 2014, Philadelphia will tax low-calorie and zero-calorie beverages at the same rate as regular soda. ...

What was once a supposedly noble effort to save poor people from their own bad habits has become nothing more than a money grab. In a way, that's encouraging, because Philadelphians clearly rebelled at the notion that taxes should be used to manipulate people's dietary choices, especially when poor people of color are the main targets. The condescending paternalism of Nutter's tax proposal turned people off so much that he could not get it approved."

Sorry, Reason, but it looks like to me that they kept the sin tax on sugary soda and added a yuppie fairness tax on diet soda, the worst of two worlds. Just like they favor a VAT and an income tax.

Funny how we tax some sins--but others are strictly off-limits.

"I reserve the right to tax your bad behavior, sinner--but my bad behavior is my body, my choice!"
My foibles are a taxable event but your's are enshrined in the Constitution, visible only with Anthony Kennedy's Secret Decoder ring.

Since "we all pay for BlobCare", maybe Philly should enact a sin tax on risky behavior..like boxing!

"It's chicken shit, Champ! Chicken shit, I tell you!"







"I can't drink this pop until I run down to City Hall and pay the new tax."

"Yay--City Hall Wins Again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment