"Men who look upon themselves born to reign, and others to obey, soon grow insolent. Selected from the rest of mankind, their minds are early poisoned by importance; and the world they act in differs so materially from the world at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, and when they succeed in the government are frequently the most ignorant and unfit of any throughout the dominions."--Thomas Paine, Common Sense Organizer
"All eyes are opened, or opening, to the Rights of Man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view. the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God. These are grounds of hope for others. For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."--Thomas Jefferson (No wonder Democrats disavow him these days.)
"A lot of ordinary people who live among concentrations of illegal aliens have to put up with a level of daily crime and disorder that well-heeled Republicans never experience. These people resent the implications that they are “xenophobes” and “nativists” harboring racist sentiments. They see a problem that needs fixing, but all that many in their party give them is the same old “nation of immigrants” bromides, rhetorical cover for ensuring a steady supply of cheap labor for capitalist cronies. ... Many people are sick of Republicans preemptively cringing before reporters who are so obviously on the side of progressives, and who never subject Democrats to the same level of scrutiny and aggressive questioning. That’s why Trump’s followers like him––he shows obvious scorn for the media, even Fox News."--Victor Davis Hanson
"We're being condescended to by our inferiors."--Peggy Noonan
Via Ace of Spades, this New Yorker cartoon is being endlessly retweeted by All the Right People, so that government on the people, to the people and against the people shall not perish from the earth:
You've let them down. The dogs aren't eating the dog food anymore. You elected an amateur. The experts were doing such a magnificent job and you gave Hillary's throne to a peasant with money. How could you, really?
Some pretty pithy pushback on Twitter.
Hey, kidz, how 'bout some Alternate Cartoon Captions?
* "This flight will get underway as soon as the Attorney General cuts a crooked deal to keep her job and clears the tarmac."
* "If you like your pilot, you can keep your pilot."
* "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks Hillary should make $145 million dollars from selling the Russians our uranium supply?"
* "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks John Podesta should write questions for the Leg-Humping Media to ask Republican candidates?"
* "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks we should give Iran nukes and money?"
* "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks Hillary should get the debate questions in advance?"
* "These smug cartoonists have lost touch with regular readers like us. Who thinks they should be forced to draw Mohammed cartoons?"
* "Let's roll!"