Sunday, July 3, 2016

Rest in His Shalom Peace, Elie

via Forward:

“NIGHT”

“For the survivor who chooses to testify, it is clear: his duty is to bear witness for the dead and for the living. He has no right to deprive future generations of a past that belongs to our collective memory. To forget would be not only dangerous but offensive; to forget the dead would be akin to killing them a second time.”

“DAWN”

“A beggar had taught me, a long time ago, how to distinguish night from day. I met him one evening in my home town when I was saying my prayers in the overheated synagogue, a gaunt shadowy fellow, dressed in shabby black clothes, with a look in his eyes that was not of this world. It was at the beginning of the war. I was twelve years old, my parents were still alive, and God still dwelt in our town.”

“AFTER THE DARKNESS: REFLECTIONS ON THE HOLOCAUST”

“Were Jews the only victims of German Nazism? There were others of course — in war actions and in the concentration camps. Polish, Russian, French and Dutch people; Gypsies and gay people, people who resisted Nazism. But if not all the victims were Jews, only the Jews were all victims.”



No comments:

Post a Comment